Monday, October 31, 2011

Golden Chris


Washingtonpost.com: "Most importantly, to all the amazing kids that watch our show and the kids that our show celebrates, who are constantly told 'no' by the people in their environments, by bullies at school that they can't be who they are or have what they want because of who they are. Well, screw that, kids." - Chris Colfer, 2010 Golden Globe Best Supporting TV winner for Glee

Billboard: "...Colfer has been doing exactly that, making his way outside of "Glee" by writing his own parts as of late. Colfer showed stills from "Struck By Lightening," the movie he wrote and starred in alongside Allison Janney and Christina Hendricks. He also briefly discussed his forthcoming novel, a children's book called "The Land of Stories," which he said he'd been thinking about since he was seven years old, when his younger sister was diagnosed with a rare from of epilepsy and he was seeking an escape...I had this old book of fairytales that my mom was given by her mom. I'll never forget because you opened the pages and all the illustrations were actual pictures of dolls in freeze form of the story," Colfer shared. "I remember in the moment never wanting an escape more ever, I wanted to literally dive into the book. I then came up with the story about these two twins that went to fairytale world and all the adventures they had, adventures I wanted to experience rather than what I was going through. I promised myself then if I ever had the opportunity to write it in a book, I would." Now Colfer has a two-book deal with Little Brown, with the first installment due out August 2012..." (Chris Colfer on Dream Broadway Roles: 'I Haven't Written Them Yet')

Jezebel: "I personally was never physically bullied or tossed into dumpsters, but I definitely was verbally and socially bullied," he says. The upside? "It definitely taught me to be quick on my feet with witty comebacks...I remember one time someone screamed 'fag' at me in the hallway, and I screamed back, 'Yeah, but can you spell it?' Everyone in the hallway laughed at the other kid; it was nice to reverse the abuse..."(Glee’s Chris Colfer: "I Was Definitely Bullied")

Christopher Paul "Chris" Colfer (born May 27, 1990) is an American actor and singer, known for his portrayal of Kurt Hummel on Glee, for which he has received several nominations and awards, including a Golden Globe in 2011. Colfer is openly gay and shared on Access Hollywood that his parents were accepting of him but he was frequently bullied at school. He originally auditioned for the role of Artie with the song "Mr. Cellophane" but Kevin McHale was selected for the role. However, the casting directors were so impressed by Colfer that they wrote the Kurt Hummel character into the show as a vehicle for him. Colfer commented on his casting, "It's good to have something positive, especially for kids in small towns, like myself, who need a little pick-me-up." Kurt Hummel has gone on to become an audience favorite. Colfer's sister, Hannah, suffers from severe epilepsy, and often experiences over fifty seizures in an hour. Colfer has commented that when he was younger he used acting as a method of escaping the stress involved with having a family member with disabilities (Wikipedia).

Related Readings:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Bullying is an abusive treatment, the use of force or coercion to affect others, particularly when habitual and involving an imbalance of power. It may involve verbal harassment, physical assault or coercion and may be directed persistently towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability. The "imbalance of power" may be social power and/or physical power. The victim of bullying is sometimes referred to as a "targeted individual" (Wikipedia).