Sunday, May 13, 2012

proud supporter of equality


SDGLN: "...The 26-year-old Herman, known for his incredible abs and cheerful encouragement to his fans to get fit, produces a weekly exercise video that is published by SDGLN on Thursdays. Herman gained widespread fame after he was cast on MTV’s popular reality-TV show, “The Real World – Brooklyn.” He bonded with the show’s transgender cast mate, paving the way for his advocating for LGBT equality. In the road rage incident, Herman told the local newspaper that he resisted the taunts of his tormentors to avoid a fight. “…Violence is not the answer, but forgiveness is,” Herman told SDGLN. “I believe that in my plight for anti-bullying, a situation such as this will only help me get my message out to other victims of bullying that doing the right thing and having the courage to do it is what will make you a better person,” he said. Herman said he was bullied in his youth, which is one of the reasons he is so adamant about supporting anti-bullying efforts. LGBT youth are bullied four times as often as their peers, studies have found. “I take my involvement with the LGBT Community on anti-bullying very seriously, which is why I spoke out...” (LGBT ally Scott Herman is target of road rage incident)

facebook: "...In August of 2009, still living in NYC, I decided to start making fitness videos to help teach those who could not afford a personal trainer. I had started a FREE online personal training business, www.ScottHermanFitness.com, in 2007 and mainly went on RW in hopes that the TV time would bring more awareness to it. My idea was to teach fitness to the world, but up until RW I really had no idea how to do it. If I owe anything to MTV it is that I was given a fast-track course on how the entertainment world works and how powerful social media is. After the success of a few videos I decided to move home and work SHF full time. Now it is 2011 and I command the most powerful positive and supportive fitness community online...and recently opened my own studio in Haverhill with a few of my fitness friends. I take my job and my life very seriously. It is important to me to be known for good things and surround myself by people who share the same degree of admiration and respect. I still pursue modeling and acting and know that one day I will hit the big screen. But all in good time. Patience is a virtue and things happen when the time is right. In my free time I enjoy spending time with my dog Bello, friends, and family. I love muscle cars, the gym, music, and new experiences. I am also an active supporter in some local LGBT youth groups such as nAGLY, as well as The Trevor Project, GLAAD, and recently drove across the country to participate in the AIDS/Lifecycle Event which is a bicycle ride from San Francisco to L.A. As I said I was bullied as a kid and never want to see anyone else have to suffer the way I did. To be honest, I wanted to be a superhero when I grew up. For me, being a Straight Ally and proud supporter of equality in the LGBT kind of gives me the feeling that I am..." (About Scott)


Scott Herman is a personal trainer, model and actor who has been working out since the age of 14. He recently received the designation of having the "best abs on the East Coast", and was featured in Men's Health magazine. The first in his family to graduate from college, he educates the public on health and fitness with his website. Along with Chet, he is one of two Republicans in the house (Wikipedia - The Real World: Brooklyn).

RELATED READING:




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Bullying is an abusive treatment, the use of force or coercion to affect others, particularly when habitual and involving an imbalance of power. It may involve verbal harassment, physical assault or coercion and may be directed persistently towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability. The "imbalance of power" may be social power and/or physical power. The victim of bullying is sometimes referred to as a "targeted individual" (Wikipedia).